Gardner took up the mantle in 1981, successfully transporting the 1950s-1960s James Bond into the 1980s with his first 007 novel, Licence Renewed. Gardner retired from the Bond series in 1996 due to health reasons allowing Raymond Benson to take over the mantle and continue on till 2002.
- Licence Renewed (1981)
- For Special Services (1982)
- Icebreaker (1983)
- Role of Honour (1984)
- Nobody Lives For Ever (1986)
- No Deals, Mr. Bond (1987)
- Scorpius (1988)
- Win, Lose or Die (1989)
- Brokenclaw (1990)
- The Man from Barbarossa (1991)
- Death is Forever (1992)
- Never Send Flowers (1993)
- SeaFire (1994)
- COLD (Cold Fall in the US) (1996)
- Licence to Kill (1989)
- GoldenEye (1995)
Outside the world of James Bond, Gardner wrote the Boysie Oakes series and two books focusing on Sherlock Holmes’ nemesis Professor Moriarty. Gardner’s final novel, No Human Enemy, is set to be published later this month on August 27th.
He will be missed.
- Nov.22.08 » John Gardner's Moriarty Released
- Jul.3.08 » Gardner Returns One Last Time
- Aug.24.07 » Gardner's Last Novel Published
- Aug.9.07 » Ian Fleming Publications on Gardner's Passing
- Aug.8.07 » Benson on the Passing of John Gardner