CommanderBond.net. The event was hosted last night. Hart received £2000 and a steel dagger, which is based on the weapon used by Special Forces during World War II.
Judges for this year’s panel consisted of Corinne B Turner (Chair and Managing Director of Ian Fleming Publications), Sarah Fairbairn (Editorial Manager at Ian Fleming Publications), Philip Gooden, Samantha Weinberg (author of The Moneypenny Diaries), Rob Williams, and David Wilson (Head of Creative and Business Affairs at Eon Workshop; Michael G. Wilson’s son). About Hart’s winning novel, The Last Child, the judges said [it] “Accomplished and ambitious piece of southern gothic. It is beautifully rendered, with a cast of memorable characters – full of pathos, atmosphere and mystery. A cracking and original story.”
About The Last Child:
Thirteen-year-old Johnny Merrimon has to face things no boy his age should face. In the year since his twin sister’s abduction his world has fallen apart: his father has disappeared and his fragile mother is spiralling into ever deeper despair. Johnny keeps strong.
Armed with a map, a bike and a flashlight, he stalks the bad men of Raven County. The police might have given up on Alyssa; he never will. Someone, somewhere, knows something they’re not telling. Only one person looks out for Johnny. Detective Clyde Hunt shares his obsession with the case.
But when Johnny witnesses a hit-and-run and insists the victim was killed because he’d found Alyssa, even Hunt thinks he’s lost it. And then another young girl goes missing …
Other nominees for this award included:
- Michael Connelly: The Brass Verdict (Orion)
- Gillian Flynn: Dark Places (Weidenfeld & Nicolson)
- Charlie Newton: Calumet City (Bantam Press)
- Daniel Silva: Moscow Rules (Michael Joseph)
- Olen Steinhauer: The Tourist (HarperCollins)
- Andrew Williams: The Interrogator (John Murray)
- Sep.8.09 » 2009 CWA Steel Dagger Shortlist
- Sep.19.08 » Bond Bound: Ian Fleming and the Art of Cover Design
- Jul.11.08 » Child 44 Wins 2008 Ian Fleming Steel Dagger
- Jun.5.08 » 2008 CWA Steel Dagger Shortlist